Dark Sun: The Tyrant of Tyr
- We begin upstairs at the four bits inn just after the city guard finish off the last of the mercenaries. Eben and Orsk question nasek, and the dwarf (still very much alive) asked them to * * find solzak so that he could give him the rest of his information.
- city guards watch over the dwarf as the two head back downstairs
- In the bar area naraaku and solz are trying to blend in as best as possible (they don’t do a great job of it)
- orsk spots them and eben and orsk force naraaku + solzak back upstairs to explain themselves and tell them whats going on
- nasek explains about tybia and narissa and the orb and that tonight he must leave altaruk as it is too dangerous here and travel south to ledopolus, a dwarven homeland. for helping him he gives each member of the group a protective enchantment against psionics and necrotic energy
- The group agree to help nasek get to the wavir caravan that waits outside and which is leaving at sundown.
- outside the inn in the courtyard are 4 groups of mercenaries, naraaku slips out unnoticed and listens in to the conversation of one group as eben, orsk and nasek head towards the caravan carefully, buffing themselves up to appear more intimidating
- naraaku overhears a mercenary group discuss if the characters are the ones they are looking for
the sun is fading and torches begin to be lit along the walls of the fort
- solzak on the other hand stumbles out of the inn drawing the attention of a group of silt stalker mercenaries who taunt and laugh at him. He decides to play on this and acts the fool some more to distract them and they fall for it demanding he perform for them.
- solzak tries ro extract information from their leader but he scoffs at solzak saying that he is no hunter and could not keep up with them. He proposes a challenge that if solzak can hunt and ‘tag’ one of his group then he will be allowed to come along as their entertainer
- solzak agrees and an elf wanders off swigging from a skin of kank nectar around the corner
- naraaku spots the danger and moves to a sniping position behind the buildings observing that the elf hides in the shadows and draws a long bone blade
- solzak scales the wall of the building and heads over the top, trying to find where the elf has gone but is unable to spot him
- as the elves begin to jeer once more solzak tries to get down the other side, slipping once more but turning just in time to see the elf lunge at him from the darkness. rolling out of the way the elf’s lunge misses
- after a brief tussle solzak knocks out the elf just as the other elves begin to call out from the other side of the building wondering what is up. he binds the hunter and hides him in the alley and confidently strides out around the side to where the elves are
- a brief stunned silence ensues when solzak throws down the elfs blade. the elves are impressed and invite solz to run with them. they leave in the morning at first light.
- Eben and Orsk reach the caravan, who initially is hesitant to them but as the dwarf nasek speaks to him he comes round, and as coins are passed he motions to the back so that the dwarf may enter.
- After bidding farewell they approach the mul and half-giant mercenaries. In a slip of his bluff * Orsk reveals that the group are looking for a woman who headed north and ask if the mercenaries are looking for work. After hearing this the mercenaries seem pleased and decline the offer saying they have other business to attend to
- the group then head back and rejoin to go to the manor of aris’
- they are lead into a moderately lavish dining hall by servants who offer them wine before aris, a hairless stately man in his 50s with a paunch, greets them with a cup of fine wine and a toast to altaruk,
- He talks about the presence of many mercenaries in altaruk and that they seem to be waiting for someone or something
- solz asks about his brand and if he can rid himself of it and he is directed to Ho’Ktou, a halfling shamen who lives in the mountains just outside altaruk
- Aris offers the assistance of some preservers of his cell who may help them in their quest.
- He knows of the orb and that once it was part of a set that belonged to an ancient sorcerer king called Kalid-ma. He enfused his essence into the orbs in the hope he could attain power greater than the dragon of Tyr, but his ritual went disastrously wrong, destroying the city of Kalidnay and consuming himself and most of the cities population in the process. It is not known what happened but if any of those orbs fall into the hands of a sorcerer king such as kalak, the result could mean the end for us all
- As a final request the group ask that the mercenaries in the fort be delayed if they try to leave so that their exits are timed at half hour intevals so then the group can deal with them
with the forming of a plan in mind the group head back to the inn. The idea is to make an alliance with the silt stalkers and use them to ambush the other rival mercenary groups as they exit altaruk a few miles from the fort. From there they will rendezvous with the caravan guards and Veil preservers at which point they will double cross and kill the elves.
- Solzak in speaking to the elves details this plan (with the exception of the part about double crossing them) and they are initially skeptical about why they need a mul and half-giant slowing them down, but Solzak manages to convince them that the group have information about their quarry and that keeping all of them alive is key to the success and in the end they will split the reward. The elves didn’t like this so much but Solzak managed to bluff them enough that there was a tentative agreement made and the group went up to rest. A not so famous saying comes to mind…
“You lie down with the Devil, you wake up in Hell”
- Later that night Eben and Orsk were awoken by the sound of their door handle moving. Wisely they had blocked the door with a chair so once it was apparent they couldn’t gain entry the would-be assassins went off down the corridor. Eben wasn’t going to take this however and kicked the door down and launched himself into the corridor to come face to face with 3 of the human mercenaries from the courtyard!
- A battle ensues during which eben and Orsk took a battering from the mercenaries and their leader who proved to be an extremely strong adversary, knocking the stuffing out of Eben and Orsk as he was slowly whittled down but arrogant in his belief that he could take the entire group on. He was proved wrong, but only just…