Dark Sun: The Tyrant of Tyr
Session 86 - 90
- Orsk, solzak, the Brohg and Assassins head back to Tyr escorted by the Eladrin, They are a couple of miles from Tyr when the Eladrin leave
- The group spot 3 escaped slaves – one of which says her name is Neeva a gladiator who once fought alongside Rikus in the arena but has since fallen out of favour
- Following them are a group of Templars searching for the free and rounding up escaped slaves. The group defend the slaves and kill the templars save 2. These are captured and taken to the training camp for the brotherhood
- Neeva is tested and joins the brotherhood while the other two slaves are given lesser roles
- The two templars are questioned but during this it becomes apparent that they have tracking gemstones on them which communicate with Abdiel their location. The templars are swiftly executed and the group set watch, wary that another search party may come to look for the dead
- A rogue named Kroll is spotted as part of the brotherhood. He has not been seen before and says he knows Solzak. Solzak corroborates this story and Kroll is allowed to stay, his purpose for being there however is unknown
- The next day the party meet with Athrialix in the morning who updates them on the current state of Tyr.
- Things have slowed slightly since they left, primarily due to the purge of the warrens by the necromancers. The area is now infested with the undead remains of those who tried and failed to leave.
- The free have slowly begun to reclaim some space and the tree of life is safe.
- The Toothcutters are no-where to be seen and rumored to be hiding in the noble district.
- House Stel have been very active in sourcing more slaves for the ziggurat and rumours are rife that more contracts are being given to them by the templars of trade in a bid to escalate labour speed as Kalak grows ever more impatient
- The slaves held in the slave pens outside the city are due to be moved back into Tyr within 2 days and tomorrow there will be a day of gladiatorial combat. On that evening the group are invited to a special welcoming dinner from house Atrius for which they should attend lest their host be disappointed
- That evening however the group decide to scout out the slave pens with view to sacking and liberating the slave pens before they are emptied or on the journey
Naraaku, Solzak and Kroll head out through the fields towards the pens south of Tyr
- On the way they notice a templar patrol headed for house Atrius! Luckily though the veil are obscuring the camp with illusion magic so it should be very difficult to see at night
- As they near the slave pens they pass by the residence of Xamres, the trade minister. Curiously out front is 2 caravans, one is one outfitted for war, the other most obviously a slave caravan. Inspecting a little closer they discover they belong to House Stel and several of House Stel’s soldiers stand outside on guard. Watching a little longer they see a group exit the caravan and head towards the mansion, clear as day they see that one of the soldiers entering the compound os Korrik – head of House Stel in Tyr! Naraaku, Solzak and Kroll each turn to one another and know instantly what is on the others’ minds
- While they are here though they decide they must still investigate the slave pens as it was their original intention, as one stays to watch over the Xamres mansion the other two head off to the slave pens
- Arriving at the pens they can see that they are reasonably well defended with a wooden tower at each corner made of Agfari (exceptionally strong wood) and a basic looking fence of wood surrounding the pen – a giant 20’ deep pit with smooth walls difficult to climb. A shaky wooden staircase and some giant hair rope ladders lay nearby and a temporary water well stands close to the pit with a winch to lower water to the troughs below. In the distance behind the pens the lights of the Tyrian barracks can just barely be seen, they would have little time to break in before the army spotted and chased after them so another plan was needed
- Watching for another hour or so they wait for them to come out. When they do it is not clear if Korrik is with them. Eventually they figure out that he isn’t. Curiously both caravans rather than heading towards the slave pens head East to the Alluvial wastes on the road towards Altaruk. However later it is recalled by Naraaku that East also is Fort Iron, the Stel Fort where the Ankheg eggs, Crystal slave experiments and Yrkoon the captured Sky Singer Elf was found
- The group acted quickly, If Korrik was still in the mansion it meant that at some point he would leave and return to Tyr giving a window of opportunity to catch him completely off guard and ambush him. A highly risky undertaking but they decided it was a worthy venture to eliminate a great threat to Tyr!
- Kroll hurried back to House Atrius and the camp to assemble a small elite strike force. They could not risk taking the brohg as Korrik would suspect them immediately so the assassins, half-giants and Vanguard were suited and mounted with Crodlu’s from the previous evening’s Templar attack and those that could be begged from Senator Nylorac (Lord of Atrius manor). Additionally two small groups of archers were assembled to act as a rear guard and to pick off any ranged targets
- Solzak quickly disguised himself in his stolen templar robes and assisted the others magnificently in recreating what they had seen in the templar patrol from the previous night. Within a couple of hours the ambush was set just a short way from the long road approaching Tyr, far enough from the walls so as not to draw unnecessary attention from the city guard
- It seemed like hours of waiting in the stillness of the night. In the distance crowing from above signalled the co-ordinating hunting calls of aaracokra, but far enough away that they needn’t have worried. Then a light from Xamres mansion at about 1:30 am and movement at speed! Korrik had left and was travelling with great pace almost directly for Tyr. The ambush group quickly mobilised for at this point he would miss them completely and they decided to hit them straight on
- As they approached they could see Korrik driving a grand chariot at the centre of 15 crodlu mounted soldiers flanking him in a strung out formation on all sides. Korrik himself bulged out of his armour in all directions, a giant of a man with huge beard and hair gathered in tubular bunches. His armour is made from scales of polished and bleached bone. Behind him on his back two gigantic sword hilts and by his side a set of finely crafted obsidian javelin. Flanking Korrik were 4 large warriors dressed in similar but less elaborate armour
- The group rode forth and hailed Korrik and his men. Spotting that they were Templars Korrik halted, demanding to know the meaning of being halted in his progress. Solzak played his part well, inquiring on Korrik’s business and movements that evening. Korrik was evasive and reluctant to fully divulge his business. It was then they noticed a shorter figure behind Korrik with green and blue glowing eyes. Solzak then turned his attentions to the shorter figure – a Psion from house Tsalaxa he said, called ‘Oziren’. As the conversation carried on it was clear only limited information could be gleaned but Korrik was keen to offer the protection of his men to ensure the safety of the Templars due to the recent murder of Gennet. They did discover that Korrik was meeting with Xamres to discuss the provision of slaves to the city but nothing any more incriminating. Korrik halted the conversation but requested that they accompany the templars back to Tyr. The rest of the soldiers wheeled and formed a loose formation surrounding the group with korrik ahead of * Solzak and the other disguised warriors. Then, as Korrik raised his hand to signal to move forward Solzak sprang their trap, letting loose a poisoned dart to Korrik’s neck.
- Then all was a blur as Korrik bellowed out to his troops they have been ambushed one of the outriders spurred his Crodlu and sped off at top speed. Solzak launched another poisoned dart at Korrik and he roared with rage shouting at them in disbelief that they dared to attack House Stel unprovoked and that they would pay for their insolence!
Orsk, the assassins, the Half-giants and Kroll charged in on their Krodlu as Korrik spurred the chariot forward to escape being surrounded. It was too late however and the group bore down upon him trying to position themselves and get past his guards, now the only barrier between them and victory
- The diminutive turbaned cloaked Oziren turned his attentions to the group – eyes flaring with psionic energy the crodlu attackers were stopped in their tracks as the creatures fell over from the force of the psychic blast
- The assassins – fueled by tales of Stel cruelty and slavery cut deep into the bodyguards as they struggled to hold back their ferocious and bloodthirsty attacks
The brotherhood sent in a hail of arrows to pepper and distract the defenders whilst slowing them down and the rest of the vanguard headed off the outer mounted soldiers to minimise those that would be able to flank those attacking Korrik’s chariot
- Kroll – unable to get close to Korrik – lashed out in frustration at the Crodlu driving the chariot wounding it gravely and causing the chariot to slow as the crodlu reared and snarled, screeching out in guttural cries of pain
- Naraaku stepped into the ranks of the brotherhood – rallying them around him (not least for protection) and elicited excited cheers from them as he too sent a volley of shots into the chariot. Then from behind them two riders charged into their ranks as the crodlu ripped and tore into their armour savagely. Seeing the danger, Naraaku slipped away – to ensure he could maintain a good shot and not get too involved in extended melee if he could help it – of course!
- Korrik called out to Hammanu for glory on the battlefield as he drew his twin giant scimitar. Eyes firmly fixed on Orsk as the Half-Giant recovered his crodlu from the psychic blast and raised up to meet him. Both warriors for a moment shared a knowing smile and pulled back their weapons to brace for the strike…