Dark Sun: The Tyrant of Tyr
The Action returns to the land within the wind, to rejoin the adventurers on the mountain of fog…
- heard more sounds of banshrae from up the mountain
- Thunderous rumble beneath feet like an earthquake and then horrid feeling in their stomachs, lurching like an act of defiling
- Flash of fire across the sky like the clouds are ablaze. Source coming from up the mountain. Davitus stirs – a great evil source of fire is close, coming from the top of the mountain
- The group debate and decide to head to the caves instead of up the mountain
Just then another quake – this time much stronger floors them aside from Frost. The shaking is so hard it knocks the wind from them making it difficult to stand
- They quickly hurry to the caves, hit by another quake Yakala slows and is forced to be supported by Eben
- Frost scouts ahead and as he nears the caves the mist seems to deepen and 5 shapes loom from the shadows. Just as he is about to attack he realises they are stone statues – closely resembling the villagers wearing tribal war armour and carrying spears. They are posed as if running and a look of terror is on the face of each.
- Just then Frost feels something run past his leg and disappear into the fog. Whatever it is it is very small, tiny even
- Frost feels a sting on his leg as an imp strikes him with its stinging tail
- Then one imp jumps on frost’s back pulls some gems from his pack and runs off – still invisible apart from the small pouch of gems
- Frost sends a firehawk into the gloom to chase after it but it is nowhere to be seen
- Frost blasts them revealing their whereabouts as Kagero shouts to intimidate them
- Frost bites an imp and grabs it by the neck, immobilising it in his jaws
- Eben, Tybia and Aatrox fend off the other imps
- Then a huge chasm opens up under Yakala’s feet. By sheer reflexes he grabs hold of the ledge as Narrissa runs over to help him back up. She twists her back as she pulls him up however and winces from the strain
- The imps that are able to take flight and head towards the cave whilst one swoops over to frost attempting to get his companion freed. He fails and is stunned by a swipe of Frost’s claws
- As soon as Yakala and Narissa are free of the chasm another one opens nearby and a gout of flame erupts from its centre. They both dive out of the way and are luckily safe
Jekall walks over and concentrates on the imps causing one to attack the other who immediately turns invisible again
- Frost takes the imp in his mouth and then rips out its throat, rending its wings apart and savagely consumes the creature. As he eats the imp though he bends over convulsing as if he was going to throw up but after belching a wry smile appears on his bestial lips as the creature is digested
- Eben runs over to the imp flying over frosts head grabbing it with one hand while slicing it in two with his axe – killing it instantly
Just as he does so a great rift rips open in the floor by his feet. He wavers and almost loses his balance but stabilises just in time
- The two imps scurry into the cave – jekall pursues them and evaporates them with a mind blast
- The rest of the group decide to head into the cave with Jekall as it seems like the safest place to be
- As they all assemble in the mouth of the cave there is a grinding sound and instantly the cave entrance begins to close. Frost meanwhile explores the cave which slowly illuminates as the natural light dies with the lights of the fungi around the room. Two shallow pools either side of the cavern floor seem to have been collection points for damp and rain water coming in from the cave mouth but otherwise the room was empty. As frost neared the exit at the back of the cave he suddenly heard what sounded like a rush of water headed his way. As it got closer he realised it was the rush of wind and dived out of the way just as a billowing cloud of black fog belched into the cave. Yakala, Jekall and Narissa recognised it at once as a magical trap.
- The fog soon began forming into solid shapes that resembled the warriors outside, they shouted a warning “get out or you will die” but unfortunately, as Jekall wryly put it “We can’t go anywhere”.
- Frost motioned to the corridor leading away from the cave – perhaps they could outrun these things or at least gain a more favorable position. They were all exhausted from the previous fights that day and were keen to avoid another. Running quickly but carefully down the natural stair after some time the sandstone corridor became suddenly man-made and they were running down steps instead of natural grooves. The sounds of the angered spirits were faint now – they were not following – so they were able to slow down and proceeded with caution.
- The stairway eventually ended and opened into a huge cavern covered in vines and natural foliage. There were many buildings and then a cliff that dropped off some 200 feet to another floor where more buildings sat. The majority of the buildings were half covered as if at some time there had been a cave-in. These were old though. Kagero and Yakala looked at each other knowingly and realised thst these ruins were easily green age – the time before the sorcerer kings!
- With interest but trepidation they continued to investigate one of the buildings that was covered in symbols and as Narissa recognised was some kind of shrine. The stone door was slightly ajar and they were able to get inside. There they found inscriptions on the wall, rubbed of over time but the gist of what it said was discernable. It seemed to indicate some kind of code or method to living that involved holding certain ideals as sacred. These ideals were to alleviate suffering wherever it is found. Bring light into places of darkness, showing kindness, mercy, and compassion and to be watchful against evil. Then, what they had waited for so long – a name in ancient common – Pelor – whose symbol the flaming sun had adorned almost all of the temples they had previously seen.
- The rest of the shrine was covered in the cave in so there was nothing left to see but a sense of amazement and enlightenment was left on the group as they explored the rest of the ruin
- A building opposite looked like an ancient forge and as they approached looked like it was still operational! Peering through the doorway however they were shocked to see 3 dwarven spirits working real metal blades on the anvils! As soon as they noticed the group though the dwarves turned the blades outward and began slowly pacing forwards
Jekall thought quickly and began reading the scriptures from the shrine of Pelor. Immediately the dwarves halted their progress and listened.
- The dwarves were spirits doomed to haunt these halls for eternity for they had failed to protect it and died. Those Dwarves who failed their focus become banshees until their focus is complete and they can rest. The group offer to destroy those that remain here and thus free the dwarves who seem to like the idea and offer up one of the blades they have worked on to eben, one whom was the most dwarven among them (Aatrox being back from the entrance). Eben takes the weapon and instantly it flares into life – another weapon of flame!
- Looking over the edge the 200 foot drop looked a lot further away than the reality. The vines could probably hold someone to climb down and the walls seemed fairly sturdy, but the less athletic in the group, Jekall, Yakala, Narissa seemed less than happy with the ‘slip and die’ chances climbing
- They could just about make out a ledge however about 30 feet down and perhaps from there would be an alternative route? It was at least worth investigating
- They discussed and then put together their giant hair ropes to first lower Frost down briefly to see if he could see any possible dangers
- Slowly Frost is lowered down and his eyes adjust to the gloom to see a small cave glistening at the back with the reflection of something shiny, then however he could hear a distinct hissing sound! A huge snake reared up in front of him!
- Reacting quickly frost swings out of the way and calls to the others what he has seen
climbing back up the group reconvene and decide that if cleared that area could make for a good camp. Tybia, Frost, Aatrox and Eben will go down and kill the snakes whilst Kagero narissa and Yakala will stand guard above
- The four rappel down with ropes tied around their waists…